Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Not Dolly!

For those who don't know I have a general aversion to meat. I am very particular about its texture, taste, shape, animal origin, etc. I would probably be a vegetarian if I was not married.

Tonight, I found a new reason for my family to become vegetarians or at least only eat organic meats. While pouring a glass of Organic milk I looked at the label and it said. . . "Our farms produced this milk without antibiotics, pesticides or cloning". "Cloning?" I thought. Has the FDA approved for us to consume cloned meat and milk? YES! Back in 2008 and there is no way to trace cloned versus non-cloned meat. The FDA says clone-derived products do not need to be labeled. We are not eating the cloned animal because they are still very expensive, but we are eating its offspring and there is no way for us to know.

Here are a few facts to consider:
- A vast majority of clones suffer from severe birth defects, painful disease, harder and more painful labors and premature death. 95% of cloning attempts fail.
- Animal cloning technology can be used to clone humans or produce transgenic animals
- Governments around the world are debating the ethics of cloning animals for food. The European Commission (FDA equivalent) concluded that because of the suffering and health problems of animal clones there is no ethical justification for cloning animals for food.

So at this point with the agriculture/livestock industry being driven by a greedy profit-driven corporate machine I think it is safe to say meat not from organic animals is certain to be pumped with environmental pollutants, steroids, antibiotics, from a clone, and cruelly treated.

Eeeeeeewwwwww and gross.

I will now get off my soap-box and go to sleep ;)

4 comments:

  1. I agree. I would rather pay twice as much for organic, free-range, grass fed, meat and chicken. Now to find such meat.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really disturbing. On a side note...I know where you can get some good, organic Goat meat and milk. I bet I can get you a good price too. After all, Goat Ranching is in my blood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that very disturbing also, Rachel. I decided to read your post after you told me about it on Saturday. Now I'm going to be checking even more closely than I already do. :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, the meat here is soooo different because they don't pump it full of stuff. It has a much stronger flavor and I have to tenderize the chicken because it can be tough. BUT, I know it's not full of junk! Kuddos on the baby food making. I tried it with Lucas and he wouldn't touch it:) He skipped the pureed foods stage completely and went right for the real thing.

    ReplyDelete