Friday, July 24, 2009

Thoughts from Dad

Hey, it's Brent here. I know you have already scrolled through this entry and do not see any pictures so you are thinking about closing it. Just don't tell me you did that. Mom and Eli are doing great!

Rachel has been very strong and it reminds me of our wedding. She got all the tears out on the rehearsal dinner and the days leading up to the wedding. On the wedding day she was perfect and didn't have to worry about tears ruining he makeup. Same here with Eli. Rachel got all of the tears out of the way Tuesday; shaking them out. What we like to call the "horsie" or "horsing it out" - when the tears come and you are ready to stop crying you shake your whole body, flail your arms, fling your head, and make horse noises. We had our final prayer over the crib on Tuesday night and were ready for the next day.

Dad only thought he got them all out. I review the last couple of days and two major cycles of emotions came over me and caused the tears to come. First cycle was Eli. The last push, the doctor holding him up, the joy in the room, the look on Rachel, the surprise of 8 lbs. 6 oz., and I get to hold him. Eli's crying was replaced by me. He was very calm, not crying. Just staring up at his old man and looking around the room. Amazing. Rachel, Eli and myself got to spend some time alone together before Brent had to horsie it out and go see Team Eli.

Team Eli consisted of the packed waiting room of family and friends. All wearing black shirts with neon green writing of TEAM ELI. Popular amongst the hospital staff but a rowdy bunch overtaking the entire room and nursery windows. The next cycle of emotions hit me. Overwhelmed by the love of our family and friends I could not do anything but praise God. From the t-shirts, the text messages, the phone calls, the email, the paparazzi on the nursery windows and the flux of visitors who love us and care for us. The crazy thing is that from all the people we have seen, we know there are still more who can't wait to see us still.

We are extremely blessed to have people who love Jesus Christ entrenched around us. Jesus wants me to love and spend time with Him. I look forward to Him showing me how to love more through Eli. Thank you all for the prayers, love and support.

4 comments:

  1. I guess I need to "shake out" the tears as I read this entry or maybe it's just prego hormones! :o) We love you guys so much and can't wait for Colton and Eli to meet!
    Aunt Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eli is so blessed to have such wonderful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eli is beautiful! I had tears in my eyes as I reading this post, you guys are truly blessed. Welcome to parenthood, there's nothing in the world like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay Brent...you made tears come to my eyes while I was reading this entry! You and Rachel are going to be amazing parents!! Congrats and I can't wait to meet Eli!

    ReplyDelete